Building a Program One Player at a Time

John Doll softballI’ve had the good fortune to coach at Dana Hall for the past 14 years, serving as the head coach for both Varsity Softball and JV Basketball. In that time, our teams have won league championships and tournaments, produced MVPs and Scholastic All-Stars, and enjoyed thrilling come-from-behind victories. Former Dana Hall players have gone on to play in college, winning games in the circle, leading their teams in batting average as freshmen, and even serving as a captain of an NCAA DIII National Championship team.

While I’m proud of our team results and our players’ successes, I am most proud of the approach to sports that permeates each team at Dana Hall. At Dana Hall, each player is special. Every athlete, regardless of her skill or experience level receives the same level of attention and instruction from her coaches. The first-year player who’s struggling to master skills is valued as highly as the star shortstop. I take pride that every player gets the same number of reps in practice, and the same level of respect and care from her coaches. At Dana Hall, our faculty and coaches see sports as an extension of the classroom; a place where student athletes can learn valuable lessons about teamwork, resilience, and effort over time. Each player knows that she has an important role on the team. She knows that her teammates and coaches are both counting on her, and committed to supporting her.

By emphasizing skill development and improvement, Dana Hall coaches make athletics a valuable experience for players of all skill levels and abilities, while likewise building successful programs. I’m proud of the accomplishments of my players and teams, but I’m most proud that I’ve had six former players come back to coach with me — not just the star pitcher, but also the pinch runner and the four-year JV player. At Dana Hall, our coaches embody Amor Caritas and demonstrate their commitment to success through their commitment to each and every student athlete.

About John Doll

John Doll is the Science Department Head. He is also the Varsity Softball and JV Basketball coach. He has been a member of the Dana Hall community since 2005.

One Reply to “Building a Program One Player at a Time”

1. Thanks for sharing, John, and for being fiercely committed to the development of Dana Hall students on and off the field.