Making Magic Happen

The entire school gathers for lunch during Dana Hall Family Weekend.EIGHT DAYS AND COUNTING! In a little more than a week Dana Hall will welcome families from near and far to celebrate Family Weekend. My unofficial countdown began nearly three weeks ago when the Chair of the Parents’ Association dropped off a “Family Weekend countdown timer” as a joke. It’s a constant reminder of the important behind-the-scenes work performed by so many in the community in preparation for this treasured event, when the best of Dana Hall is showcased.

Parents and other family members attend classes with Dana students, see them perform on stage and cheer them on as they compete on the athletic fields. This also is a time when parents can connect with other parents, and in many cases observe their daughters do the same with their peers. Careful planning has been taking place not just by faculty, staff and administrators but also by members of our Parents’ Association. I may be somewhat biased, but the Dana Hall Parents’ Association is second to none! We have vibrant executive and leadership committees with various subcommittees in excess of 50+ members. There is a dedicated Family Weekend committee whose charge is to coordinate volunteers and lead various groups in planning for the weekend, from decorations and spirit activities to food trucks and much more. The amount of joy, love and care our volunteers bring to the community is truly exceptional and is evident in everything they do, but especially during this celebratory weekend.

This year we plan to welcome back families from 15 countries and 12 states. For the first time ever local parents in each of our Upper School classes will host class gatherings in their homes the Thursday evening before Family Weekend in hopes that families of boarding students will be able to attend. Concurrently, parent class representatives from each of our Middle School classes have scheduled events to bond together and welcome new families. Our parent ambassadors will be checking in with their respective new families to answer questions and share information. This is a true testament of the ever-present spirit of Amor Caritas in our community.

During my 18 years working at Dana Hall I have had the distinct pleasure of interacting with both Dana Hall alumnae and parent volunteers. I also am a proud parent of a Dana Hall alumna, so like several of my dedicated colleagues “my blood runs Dana blue.” During my tenure I have planned and organized many wonderful Dana Hall events. With the support of the entire community, we work together to MAKE THAT MAGIC HAPPEN!

About Kathy Luby

Kathy Luby is the Director of Special Events and Parent Programs at Dana Hall. She joined the School in 2001.

3 Replies to “Making Magic Happen”

1. Lovely post, Kathy! I am grateful for all the time, energy, and talent you and your team of parent volunteers share to make this event such a success!

2. Kathy,
    Your tireless efforts to engage so many different members of the Dana Hall community is greatly appreciated! Family Weekend is, indeed, magical, but it stems from your incredible effort, energy, organization, and commitment to this community. Thank you!!