Break a sweat, increase your brain power!

Field hockey team runs across turf field.Why should our youth be physically active and play a sport? Well, playing sports helps your brain grow! Research has shown that exercise increases blood flow to the brain. Playing sports helps the body build more connections between nerves, leading to increased concentration, enhanced memory, stimulated creativity, and better-developed problem-solving skills. Craziness, right?!

Did you know that 65% of the Forbes Most Powerful Women played SPORTS? Every day, I see that athletics has a profound impact on individuals, Dana Hall School as a whole, and the larger community. If just by playing sports we can increase brain power, build healthy bodies, learn leadership skills and build forever friendships…Why not give sports a try? 

For those who don’t know me, here is a glimpse into my passion for sports. Athletics has and will always be a part of my life. I played every sport offered in elementary school, three sports in high school, softball in college and as I ventured into the “real world” I learned to play golf and even jumped in with masters swimming.  I am passionate about physical activity and continue to play sports in various capacities. Whether I am training for a race, swimming laps, playing winter league basketball or golfing with friends, I love being outside and active whenever I can. If I am not on the sideline watching games, you will likely find me playing tag or hide and go seek outside with my kids.  As an educator, I understand the importance of physical activity starting at a young age. I believe that playing sports is not only good for your health (energy level, promotes blood flow, healthy sleep habits, physical well-being), but also helps develop mental and physical resiliency. I am clearly passionate about sports, but also, anything that allows you to move your body in space, requires spacial awareness and makes you break a sweat. 

The Shipley Center for Athletics, Health and Wellness is a great place to start your athletic journey. The sounds of students laughing in the halls, playing music in the fitness center and squeaking sneakers on the gym floor are all what makes  “The Ship” a great place for all students. You have to see it for yourself! We have many opportunities to learn about Dana Hall Athletics and the School’s various athletic and fitness offerings. Coming up is our Athletics Open House, Nov. 19, 5:30-7 p.m. If you are interested in increasing your brain power at Dana Hall and want to learn more, our Open House would be a great opportunity for you to speak to coaches and tour our facility.  I hope to see you there!

Go Dragons!

About Becky Kimball

Becky Kimball, Director of Athletics, Health and Wellness. She joined the school in 2019.

2 Replies to “Break a sweat, increase your brain power!”